The facts are in: medical marijuana is helping millions of people all over the world manage pain, and negative side effects of certain treatments such as chemotherapy. It is also great when it comes to handling stress and anxiety and is helpful when it comes to people who are looking to kick an opioid painkiller addiction.
However, New York has specific rules when it comes to HOW medical cannabis may be consumed. Smoking and edibles are currently not permitted in New York.
So …what are your options?
Although choices may seem limited, the New York State Health Department has granted more ways to consume medical marijuana and regulations are evolving.
Medical marijuana products that are approved by the NY Commissioner of Health are permitted to be consumed in New York, as long as they are manufactured in an indoor, enclosed and secure facility located in New York State. The following forms are approved in regulation:
- metered liquid or oil preparations;
- solid and semisolid preparations (e.g. capsules, chewable and effervescent tablets, lozenges);
- metered ground plant preparations; and
- topical forms, ointments and transdermal patches.
The approved ways to ingest Medical Marijuana in New York are:
- sublingual tincture (liquid drops deposited under the tongue)
- vapor (vape pen)
Here’s what you need to know about each option:
- A tincture is a liquid herbal solution usually placed under the tongue or applied to the skin topically.
- Capsules are a simple way to consume cannabis oil. Dosing is easy and are capsules are taken like a vitamin. The oils are released in the digestive tract.
- Liquids & Oils are consumed with a vape pen.
“Ensuring access to medical marijuana for eligible patients is central to the Department’s efforts to responsibly grow New York’s Medical Marijuana Program,” said New York State Department of Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker.
If you are in pain, the Long Island Compassionate Medical Center can help you put an end to your suffering. If you qualify, you may be able to get a prescription for medical marijuana to manage your condition. For every option, dosages are determined by your doctor and filled at a dispensary in accordance with your doctor’s directive.
Call 561-588-4888 and make an appointment with pain management specialist Dr. Jahan Chaudhry. He will discuss your options and guide you in determining which medical marijuana product is best for you to consume.